While we're on the topic of veggies, I thought I'd take this opportunity to share with you my favorite recipe for preparing them. Actually, it's less of a recipe and more of a strategy. Summer is a hectic time of year. The kids are out of school, and we're constantly running around between sports practice, camp and play dates all day long. There's no way I would be able to have a wholesome meal on the table every night without a few tricks up my sleeve.
One of my favorite tricks is called tin-foil veggies. They're fast, easy and require very little clean up. Best of all, I can make them on the grill alongside burgers, salmon or steak. Here's how it's done:
- Tear off a piece of aluminum foil and brush with olive oil.
- Arrange the vegetables on the aluminum foil.
- Brush the vegetables with more olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper or whatever other herbs and spices you like.
- Place another piece of aluminum foil over the top and roll the edges together to create a pocket.
- Slice a slit in the top of the pocket and transfer to the grill.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes.